Why having a well designed book cover is important?
Whether you like it or not, the success of a book is largely judged by its cover! If you are going to print thousands of books (which may become millions later), it is definitely worthwhile investing in a well designed cover. Your design is a one-off cost but there are many potential benefits.
The Top 5 reasons your book deserves a great cover are:
- An attractive cover design visually conveys a book's message and can generate feelings of excitement and anticipation for discovering further adventures or insights. This not only allows the author a greater sense of pride but can generate the all important book sales. An engaging cover will create positive feelings and "BUY" emotion
- Your book only has a few seconds to attract reader, retailer and reviewer attention; make sure it's your book they're choosing.
- Consumers buy with their eyes, so a well designed cover gives your book more value. If you plan on setting a price that is in line with the current market, your book must satisfy that value in order to sell. Your target market will be looking for a well designed book cover.
- How long do you spend over each book in a store? Readers look at the spine, front cover and back cover before promptly making the decision to buy. All this in only minutes!
- A reviewer can appraise a certain number of books at a time and guess what they choose? Books with interesting and well designed covers! These have a much better chance of being actually read by a reviewer.
Let CleverLink help you with your book cover so that it not only stands out on the shelves, but attracts attention. Make the reading public want to pick up your book.
Your book is important to you. You have spent a lot of time getting it this far. Let us help you get it the rest of the way.
Contact us on 1300 721 837 to arrange an appointment with us or just fill in our enquiry form and we will get back to you.
Tips for having a great book cover:
- The cover design should be sensitive to and appeal visually to you and your target audience
- The cover design should appropriately reflect the content of your book – for example, if you are publishing a technical book, steer away from designs with a comic focus.
- Traditionally, most people spend more time (at least double) reading and looking at the back cover than they spend on the front cover. Therefore, the front of the book must help to grab their attention but it’s what is on the back that will help them make their decision. Although different genre’s will require particular variances, here is the essential information you will need to add to the back cover of your book:
- Author's picture & biography; outlining the author’s qualification to write the book
- Features and benefits of reading the book
- Testimonials from someone well respected in the area that you write. (These review "blurbs” really make a big difference).
- Use ‘sans serif’ font for display headers and book covers. Serif typefaces are typically used for body text to ease readability.
- Read CleverTips on Visual Communication: A winning Tool for You, Your Career and Your Business.
Testimonial from client:
The final cover design was absolutely magnificent! The illustration on the back came out looking perfect, and the front portrays the feel of the book exactly as I wanted it.
Congratulations to you and your designers for a job well done, please pass my compliments and gratitude on to them. I was deeply impressed with your team's diligence and professionalism, and when the time comes for my next project I will certainly contact you again.
CleverLink and our publishing department, Food For My Brain International, can also help you print your book. Cleverlink can manage the entire project including book cover design, layout of the book, cartoons, barcode and ISBN, editing and proof reading, etc. We can even help you sell your books online.
Note that our managing director, Camtu Pham, is a self-published author. She has successfully launched her book Aim High Fly Fast and looks forward to helping you with your project.
Please visit our Portfolio for further examples of our work, or contact us on 1300 721 837 to arrange an appointment with us or just fill in our enquiry form and we will get back to you.
Click here to see our book production service.